IFAD VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 01/06/P
DATE OF ISSUE 07 April 2001
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS 07 May 2001
POSITION TITLE TECHNICAL ADVISER (Household Food Security and Gender
ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT Technical Advisory Division, Programme Management
CCOG CODE I.L.01, I.l.05
DUTY STATION Rome, Italy
DATE OF ENTRY ON DUTY As soon as possible
DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT 2-year Fixed Term
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the overall supervision of the Director,
Technical Advisory Division, the adviser will assume the duties and responsibilities
described below. This adviser is supported by two temporary professional staff
(a P4 and APO).
- Provide IFAD staff and partners with professional advice in the areas of
gender, household food security, social equity and related socio-economic
issues (ethnicity, class, age); and keep up to date with developments in these
- Facilitate cross-regional learning and exchange of knowledge (within IFAD
and with partner and resource orgnisations) in gender, household food security
and social equity through task forces, technical seminars/workshops, analyses-related
training activities, and technical knowledge notes, publications, and websites.
Represent IFAD at international fora concerning these professional areas.
- Provide technical support in these professional areas in design, supervision,
implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of projects and
components, as well as technical guidance to staff, field missions and regional
gender programmes. Analyze investment and grant project documents to identify
key socio-economic, institutional, food security/nutrition issues. The aim
of this technical analysis and support is to promote effective project targeting
to increase the likelihood that projects will improve the livelihoods of poorer
women, men, disadvantaged groups and communities and build their capacity
to access project related services and participate actively in project design
- Identify opportunities to improve the economic, social and political status
of poor rural women, review participatory approaches to community development
and household food security, and appraise factors and risks related to technical
problems in the household, community and geographical areas.
- Initiate, manage and supervise research work and grants to fill gaps in
knowledge (gender, household food security, social equity capacity building,
indigenous knowledge, customary legal systems, rural institutions), particularly
from on-going or completed IFAD projects.
- Develop tools and guidelines and advise on policies and procedures on the
social dimensions of Poverty in IFAD's operations.
- Perform other related duties as may be requested by the Director of the
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced university degree in rural sociology, anthropology or closely related
- Minimum ten years of progressive experience in rural development work in
developing countries on at least two of the following regions: West and Central
Africa, East and Southern Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and
the Caribbean, and Near East and North Africa.
- Wide experience in policy, programme, project and research design, management,
implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and training and in various sectors
of rural development (farming systems, institutional development, health and
nutrition, education, etc.)
- Knowledge of participatory approaches and formal/informal rural organisations.
- Good communication skills in English and French or Spanish. Working knowledge
of either Arabic or Spanish/French would be desirable.
NET SALARY RANGE from USD 65,176 to USD 85,985 per annum plus post adjustment
and the United Nations benefits package.
IFAD invites both female and male candidates. Applicants should note that IFAD
staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the
President of IFAD, and may be assigned by him to any of the
activities of IFAD.
IFAD reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below that advertised.
Please send application to
Via del Serafico No. 107, 00142 Rome, Italy
Fax No: +39 06 5043463 / E-mail: L.mclachlanatifad.org
In all cases please quote the vacancy announcement number.
Only short-listed candidates will receive an acknowledgement
Applications from women candidates are particularly encouraged.